Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Valentine's Awkward Moment

     A few weeks ago, I was getting some ice at Taco Time because they have that yummy small pellet crunchy ice that you can't get anywhere else--it goes perfect in "Young Women Punch" or Neil Diamond "Love on the Rocks Punch" (I will disclose the recipe below). As I was waiting, I noticed on the counter some small pieces of paper and a sign for a Taco Time Drawing.  Sweet!
     Some where in my DNA make-up is a gene that increases blood flow every time there is a contest or drawing.  Blood flows faster and heart rate increases as out family sees an opportunity to enter.  Not only do we feel a need to enter contests, we often WIN.  In fact, we started a blog that logs all of our winnings (let me know if you want the link).   We have won gift cards, milk for a year, concert tickets, movie premiere tickets, etc.
     Upon seeing the drawing papers, I knew I needed to enter.  There was some Valentine contest and some weekly free meal drawing.  So, of course, I entered both.
     Last week I got a message that I won!  Wahoo!  I called the lady to claim my prize and here's where the awkward moment arises...I won the "Dinner for Lovers."  Um, I don't really have a lover.  The win includes a three course catered meal (I was excited about the free food), a bouquet of flowers for the "lady" of the couple, and a photo of the couple so it could be displayed in the resturant with thier story.   How could I tell the nice lady that I didn't have a spouse, significant other, or even a date?  I thought, maybe I would just bring a friend, but that wouldn't look right for a "Lover's Dinner."  I thought, maybe I could take my dad?  Yeah, that wouldn't look right either--besides, he's on a cruise.  What now?  So, I am giving the winning to a friend whose husband is out of work.  I'm just sad about missing the free food.  :)  
     Although there are awkward moments as a single person, and some of them may happen around Valentine's Day, there are also moments to love and be loved.  If you read my blog last year in February, you heard about a new tradition I started for myself for Valentine's Day.  Yesterday, I gave flowers to two co-workers who are going through some rough times and I'm sure this year's Valentine's Day will not be their favorite.  What a sweet experience it was to see their faces when they saw the flowers.  I don't know if it made their day, but it sure made mine!  

     Who needs your love or friendship this year on Valentine Day?  How can you show them someone cares?


Here is the recipe I mentioned-

YW/Love on the Rocks Punch:
2   2 Liter Bottles of Diet Grapefruit Shasta
1    Can White Grape Juice Concentrate
1    Bag of Taco Time Ice

Mix and serve in large punch bowl--surprise all your guests with this yummy beverage they won't forget! 



“I believe that for most of us the best medicine for loneliness is work, service in behalf of others. I do not minimize your problems, but I do not hesitate to say that there are many others whose problems are more serious than are yours. Reach out to serve them, to help them, to encourage them. There are so many boys and girls who fail in school for want of a little personal attention and encouragement. There are so many elderly people who live in misery and loneliness and fear for whom a simple conversation would bring a measure of hope and happiness.”  -President Gordon B. Hinckley    General Conference October 1996

2 comments: