Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mother in Israel...Behind the Scenes

            Today, I want to dedicate this post to ALL mothers—regardless of whether we are married or single, whether we have given birth or not, we can all use our God-given gift to “mother” and bless many of God’s children. 
            Last fall, during the LDS General Woman’s Conference, a story about me and my little friend, Molly,  was shared in a short video.  Many people have been asking how the opportunity came about.  Here is the background of our story and the video. 



            Last summer, I received an email about a project for the Church requesting stories about women.  In the email was a quote from Sheri Dew about motherhood.  “Motherhood is more than bearing children, though it is certainly that. It is the essence of who we are as women…we are all mothers…”  This quote has been a life-line for me. Even though I am not yet married and I don’t have children of my own, I have been blessed with many opportunities to “mother” children in my sphere of influence. 

            When I saw the email, I really wanted to share some experiences I have had being a mother.  During General Conference in April 2010, a majority of the talks were about marriage and parenthood.  There may have been others in my situation, who were not married or didn’t have children, that may have thought that they couldn’t relate with the talks, but for some reason, I felt the opposite.  I connected with the talks and the related themes and felt a strong urgency to do MY part and support existing marriages and prepare for my possible future marriage.  I had thoughts about my nieces and nephews and ways I could further reach out to them and other children or youth that were in my life. Many talks were about teaching children.  I felt a responsibility help God’s children return to Him.  (To anyone reading this post, I encourage you to revisit the talks from April 2010 General Conference—that has become my favorite session of all time!  It will bless you, and your
family, and those you love and it will inspire you with ways you can specifically reach out to God’s children).  After listening to these talks, I have actively sought out and created opportunities to nurture and “MOTHER.”
            One example of mothering began when I was asked to be a substitute teacher for a friend’s Primary class.  I have never had a calling to serve in Primary, but I love teaching and I love children.   In the Sunbeam class was a shy, blonde haired, blue-eyed girl named Molly.  One day, I looked across the congregation during Sacrament Meeting and made eye contact with her.  She waved at me and said to her mom, “There’s my teacher!”   I only taught her class a few times but she recognized me as her teacher.  From that Sunday on, I would scan the congregation, looking for Molly so we could wave at each other.  I admit, there were times I wasn’t 100% focused on the speaker—waving at Molly was much more entertaining. 
            Molly and I were friends for several months before I ever met her mom.  Since then, her mother has become a dear friend.  I also become friends with all of Molly’s siblings.  Her youngest brother couldn’t pronounce my name so he just called me Mulumalumaluma.  I “adopted” Molly and her siblings.  With her family, I have participated in Family Home Evening, gone on an overnight snowshoeing adventure in a yurt, been to birthday parties, went snowboarding, been invited to have “late nights,” made cookies, etc.
            One day Molly sat by me in sacrament meeting and asked me if I would write her a letter because she loved getting mail but never got any.  Of course, I thought!  I’m a terrible letter writer, but I knew it would make her day.  Since then, I have had a pen pal that lives a few blocks away.  Her letters are so sweet and it has been really fun for both of us.  That is the story about Molly and I.
            Now, more about the video…I also wanted to share about other children I have been blessed to  “mother.”
            In my ward, there was a 10 year old girl that started a book club called the BFF Book Club.  She named it this because she wanted to do a book club with her best friends and she told us  “Books are Friends Forever.”   She invited me to join the group.  I was very honored to be a member of the club, which consisted of about a half dozen 10 and 11 year old girls…and me.  We would meet monthly to discuss a previously designated book.  We even had treat assignments.
            I also have “mothered” my nieces and nephews.  After the April 2010 General Conference, I felt an obligation to teach my nieces and nephews and let them know that I know—that I am a “MotherWho Knows” (another favorite talk)I felt an urgency to spend time with them and make the time meaningful and memorable.  One of my sisters’ children really like it when I lay down by them at night and tell stories.  Because I don’t get the opportunity often to be with them, I wanted to maximize my time, so I would often tell stories about Jesus--Elder Anderson’s petitioned,"To fathers and mothers, to grandfathers and grandmothers, and to those without children of their own who lovingly nurture children and youth, my counsel  is to speak more frequently about Jesus Christ."  I also told them stories about Joseph Smith and miracles that have happened in my life.  I have also taught my nieces and nephews several scriptures using accents, rhymes and actions.  For many of them, the only scriptures they remember are the ones they memorized with me.  (I started to post some of these scriptures on YouTube—you can find them by looking up “Memorizing Scriptures with Mel.”
            The story I submitted about being a mother had to be succinct, so I chose to share the story about Molly and I.  About a month went by and I hadn’t heard anything, so I forgot about it until I got a phone call asking for more details about my story with Molly.  Then a few more phone calls and a date was scheduled for some filming.  Molly and her mom didn’t even know I shared our story until a few days before we filmed.  I didn’t know how/where the story would be shared until right before we filmed it was mentioned that the video had the potential to be used during the Woman’s Session of General Conference!  I was in shock!   I didn’t mean for this to happen--I just had a simple story of a little girl being loved and sharing that love and attention in return!  
             I was so humbled with the thought that it could be shown at the Broadcast and I felt a huge weight—knowing the impact our story could have on women of the Church.  I prayed and fasted to know the right things to say.  I prayed for the filming crew.  I prayed for Molly.  I prayed for the Women all over the world that would see the video.  I prayed for mothers who don’t have children of their own to know that God knows them personally and that this message was a message of love from Him.  I read and re-read Sister Dew’s talk, “We Are All Mothers.”  I re-read scriptures and I re-read many talks and my notes in the margins of my May 2010 General Conference Ensign.  I felt the Lord’s hand guiding us during the filming and letter writing and I had some really special moments where I felt God’ love for me and for His daughters.  
            Some people may have questioned if everything was staged in the video and if we were all actors doing a nice story.  Yes, I am an actress but the story in the video was real.  I was simply a substitute teacher for Molly’s Primary Class and we became buddies and then pen pals.  The girls in the BFF Book Club are featured in the film—they are mine!   The kids with me walking to the temple and at bedtime are some of MY nieces and nephews.   I love and have “mothered” all the children in the video. 
            After the video was produced, I found out that the title of the video was “Mother in Israel.”  I wept!  I have always desired to be a mother!  My efforts in mothering are valued and validated. 
            Rather than focusing on the fact that I am single and childless, I have tried to focus on being stalwart through steadfast gospel living, daily scripture study, prayer and by seeking out opportunities to serve.  I have strived to become one in purpose with God to help His children feel loved.  I truly feel that I can become one with Christ through service to others and as a woman, I can still be a mother and use my God-given gift to nurture His children. 
            Many people reached out to me after the video to tell me they had seen it.  I was so humbled to hear that our simple story had touched so many others.  Of all the feedback I received, the best compliment was from my missionary companion, Kelly.  I have become an “adopted aunt” to her children, as I have spent time with them through dinners, Family Home Evening, tried to support them in dance concerts and Eagle Court of Honors, school plays, etc.  I even took the kids snowshoeing when their mother was going through chemotherapy and radiation treatments.  Kelly said when she was watching the Broadcast with her daughters, her 12 year old daughter looked up to her mom and said, “Mom, she was talking about USWe are some of the “other children” that she loves!” 
            Through my relationship with Molly and other children, I not only felt Christ’s love for them, but I have also felt Christ’s love for me.  I would never have believed anyone if they told me I would reach my early forties and still not have a family of my own.  Even though life has not been what I expected and it has not always been easy I know I can rely on Christ and “I can do all things through Christ, which strengthenth me.” (Philippians 4:13)

             Below  is a picture and Molly and I at her recent baptism.  







10 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved reading this!! You are an inspiration to many!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing!!! This is SO BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for you wonderful example, Mel! I am going to download that conference right now and give it a listen. Um grande abraço!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so awesome!! This is so beautifully and inspirationally written. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel, Thank you so much for sharing your experience and your beautiful example! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mel, Thank you so much for sharing your experience and your beautiful example! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I'm so grateful I know you. You make me want to be a better mother to my own children and to the others I get to "mother." Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your story about the video and other stories of mothering. As I've said before, I like to check out your blog when I'm feeling down, and it touched me tonight. Hope things are going well in your new mother experiences.

    ReplyDelete