Sunday, February 3, 2013

Enhancing Scripture Study



A few weeks ago, I spoke at a Relief Society Meeting about ideas to enhance personal and family scripture study.  Below is is the handout I gave with a list of ideas that have blessed my life.  I went into more detail about each idea at the meeting, but hopefully some of these ideas can bless your life.    I know I owe much of my happiness to the Word (Alma 44:5).
 
SCRIPTURE STUDY IDEAS

Elder David A. Bednar,  New Era April 2006
Principle 1:   Pray for understanding, and invite the help of the Holy Ghost.
Principle 2:   Work.
Principle 3:   Be consistent.
Principle 4:   Ponder.
Principle 5:   Write down impressions, thoughts, and feelings.


Ideas to make scripture study more meaningful and testimony building:
  • Pray (before, during, and after) Praying before was obvious, but praying after increased my gratitude for the scriptures.  
  • Study in the early morning hours
  • Avoid reading in bed
  • Look for:
                        -Lists ( 88:123-124  wo’s  II Nephi 9: 30-39 )
                        -Opposites (Alma 36:12-21  torment/pain, pain no more/joy)
                        -“If…then”   statements  (D&C 5:24, sometime need to add in "then")
                                                 -Repeated words/phrases: (i.e. “Faith” Alma 32,Ether 12, “choose” 2 Nephi 2:27-29)
 
                        -Connecting words  (Alma 49:20 prepared, 26-27 prepare--delivered)
  • Discover how the words apply to you, now
  • Ask Questions (i.e. Alma 22:15  "What am I willing to give up for the Gospel?"  I thought I was funny when I wrote this one, "Why can we sing Hymn #30 when we can't say this?" II Nephi 28:25)
  •  Memorize  “Great power can come from memorizing scriptures. To memorize a scripture is to forge a new friendship. It is like discovering a new individual who can help in time of need, give inspiration and comfort, and be a source of motivation for needed change.” Elder Richard G. Scott, General Conference, Oct 2011
  • Liken it to yourself and your situation  (Alma 43:46 "felt it was their duty" My duties are...)
  • Consider the intent of the author (Why did he include this? What does he want me to learn?)
  • Use a dictionary to look up words
  • Listen to or sing uplifting music to prepare the mood
  • Color Code Topics (i.e. Faith=Yellow, Righteous Leadership=Green, Love/Joy=Red, Prayer=Purple---you choose topics and you chose colors!)
  • Conference Talks—mark/highlight your Conference Ensign—write favorite quotes on the back cover
  • Study Preach My Gospel, For the Strength of Youth Pamphlet, The Living Christ, The Family Proclamation
  • Listen to CES Firesides, BYU and BYU-Idaho Devotionals, etc.
  • Put the scriptures/Conference talks on your Ipod, or other electronic devices (Listen while you drive, get ready in the morning, doing housework, etc.)
  • Write impressions in the margins and use the blank pages in the back of your scriptures
  • Use the lds.org   journal  (need to create a login account)
  •  Be consistent--Same place, same time
  • Have a set amount of time rather than set amount of chapters to read
  • Get a scripture journal and write down impressions, thought, questions, etc.(this is one of the most powerful--you will surprise yourself by what you write)
  • Make your own list of favorites in the back of your scriptures (I also have a list of "Beautiful verses" and a "Trials" list)
  • Make it fun and enjoyable  (I have my own "humor" section I made)
  • Send scriptures and quotes to others through text messages and email (SOTD)  Scripture Of The Day
  • Don't give up!

“You will find that as you write down precious impressions, often more will come.”   
Elder Richard G. Scott, To Acquire Knowledge and the Strength to Use It Wisely,” 
Ensign, June 2002, 32–34






ADDITIONAL RESOURCES

Talks:
 Susan Jones and Barbara Thompson   “Stand in Awe and Be Still: Spiritual Receptiveness,”  BYU Women's Conference (May 1, 2009)  (Sister Jones' talk is so powerful it is one of my all time favorites--be sure to listen to this talk!)

Elder David A. Bednar ,    “Because We Have Them before Our Eyes”   New Era April 2006

Elder David A. Bednar,  “Watching with All Perseverance,” April Conference 2010

Elder M. Russell Ballard,  “Be Strong in the Lord, and in the Power of His Might"  CES Fireside for Young Adults, 3 March 2002

Elder Richard G. Scott,  “To Acquire Knowledge and the Strength to Use It Wisely,” Ensign, June 2002, 32–34.

President Ezra Taft Benson, “The Power of the Word,” Ensign, May 1986, 79

Book:
Gene R. Cook   Searching the Scriptures—Bringing Power to Personal and Family Study”



Here is a scripture reading chart to color in each day your read.  I gave it to my nieces and nephews and they loved it.  One year I gave it to my parents and they read EVERY DAY!  

http://www.mormonshare.com/sites/default/files/handouts/scripture-reading-chart-2013.pdf

3 comments:

  1. I REALLY, REALLY would like a transcript of the Susan Jones talk. Any chance you have it? Any link I have found goes only to the talk by Barbara Thompson, but is missing the words of Susan Jones. I listened to part of it on Mormon Channel a few days ago, but had to go into an appointment. I missed the end, and have searched hours for it today. All links that seem to lead to Susan Jones talk don't work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like the talk by Susan Jones too and can't find it. Where would you suggest I look for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also am trying to find Susan Jone’s talk after hearing part of it this morning on Mormon Channel. Desperately want to hear the talk in it’s entirety.

    ReplyDelete