Monday, August 31, 2015

Red Carpet

     Last week was the first week of school for my students.  I have the funnest job in the world--I am the Theatre/Drama teacher for two elementary schools.  I teach all the students Kindergarten through 5th Grade.
     At one of my schools, there is a grand tradition for the first day of school.  As all the children enter the front doors, they enter on RED CARPET.  Music is playing, with the staff on the side lines cheering students on as the enter for another year of learning.  Each students receives a pencil and high fives.  The kids love it.  I overheard one girl say, "Yeah, last year, we were movie stars on the first day of school."  What a great way to start off the year!

     This year, the principal has added a theme of "Super Heroes." Staff members were encouraged to wear Super Hero attire at the welcoming ceremony.  I found my cape I made a few years ago and wore the attire of a true Super Hero:  a MOM!  (see my post  "When I Grow Up").  

      Because I taught at this school last year, I knew most of the student waltzing proudly and anxiously down the red carpet.  I admit, I got a little teary.  I LOVE these kids!  With the fun music (This is the Best Day of My Life) blaring, the anticipation in the air, the Super Heroes cheering and the red carpet, I was completely caught up in the moment.   What a great way to begin the school year and honor the students--they are the Super Heroes of the future!


"Isn’t that what we all desire: to be the heroes and heroines of our own stories; to triumph over adversity; to experience life in all its beauty; and, in the end, to live happily ever after?"   
           -Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "Your Happily Ever After."   
           General Conference April 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment